Can I show a National Geographic Channel or National Geographic Television program to my students?
National Geographic Television acknowledges the "fair use" rights of educators to make off-air recordings of National Geographic Explorer for educational use as expressed in the "Guidelines for Off-the-Air Recording of Broadcast Programming for Educational Purposes." These recording rights are limited to nonprofit educational institutions and are for educational use only.
Rights and restrictions apply to free off-air recordings of National Geographic Explorer:
- Educational institutions may keep videotaped recordings for no more than 45 calendar days after the recording date, at which time the tapes must be erased.
- Teachers may show videotaped recordings to students only within the first ten school days of the 45-day retention period.
- Off-air recordings must be made only at the request of an individual teacher or by an individual teacher for instructional purposes, not by school staff in anticipation of later requests by teachers.
- A teacher may show the recording to students no more than two times during the ten-day period, and the second time only for necessary instructional reinforcement.
- Only teachers may view the taped recordings after the ten-day period for evaluation purposes; that is, to determine whether to include the broadcast program in the curriculum in the future.
- If several teachers request videotaping of the same program, duplicate copies are permitted to supply their request; all copies are subject to the same restrictions as the original recording.
- The off-air recordings may not be physically or electronically altered or combined with others to form anthologies, but they need not necessarily be used or shown in their entirety.
- All copies of off-air recordings must include the copyright notice on the broadcast program as recorded.
- These guidelines apply only to nonprofit educational institutions, which are further "expected to establish appropriate control procedures to maintain the integrity of these guidelines."
Certain films seen on National Geographic Explorer are available for purchase at video stores or from National Geographic Television (by calling 800 343 6610).
Still need help? Email Us